1/13/12

Working at a supermarket for the past 5 years, I have had a variety of jobs, titles and positions. I thought it would be a good idea to list them all and explain just what each details and why they all actually suck.

Bagger
As an entry level bagger, I though at the time this was the worst job you could have in a grocery store. Low pay, pushing carts, taking out garbage and doing all the tasks no one else wants to do. Bagging sucks, no matter was position you are. Having to bag everything, listen to customers bitch about your bagging job, having to help old women outside to their cars.

The perk? Getting to literally walk away whenever you want and having no real responsibility. Looking back, I totally wish I had taken advantage of that at the time.

Cashier
By far, being a cashier was my least favorite position I've ever had. All baggers want to do is be cashiers, but three months later you wish you were back on the other side of the check stand.

It involves long hours of standing in the same spot, scanning the same items, having the same fake conversation with customers, hearing the same complaints, all while trying really hard to keep a smile on your face.

Floral Department
Probably the most boring position I've held was being a floral clerk. Floral brings in the least amount of money for the store and also throws out the most products for being expired.

Daily tasks include changing water buckets, throwing out flowers, making arrangements and just cleaning the floral area. The best part was going outside and watering the flowers and plants outside with the hose. Hours of pretending to water in between cigarette breaks. Although it was easy, it was just so boring.

Customer Service
The time finally came for me to be a supervisor. I was pretty excited, but really sad at the same time. I had worked there long enough to have extra responsibility, but I then I realized I had worked there a bit too long.

This job just straight up sucks. Longer hours, very little pay and a hell of a lot more stress. The average picture of myself behind the customer service desk is: performing a refund, while on the phone, while checking the price of something, while yelling at a bagger to get back from break, while getting singles register #1 all at the same time. Not worth it.

Personnel Trainer 
Probably my favorite position was being the personnel trainer. I literally got to sit in an office smaller than my closet and sit on a computer doing nothing all day. I just made spreadsheets and sent emails. When we finally got new employees I got to run them through orientation.

The worst part was showing the training videos made in the 90's over and over and over again. If I ever have to watch a video on how to be a good employee again I would probably rip my hair out. After all their training I handed the new employee a name tag and uniform and sent them on their way.

Assistant Service Manager
My current position and first one I actually get paid well for is being the front-end assistant service operations manager. Long title to simply say I'm in charge of cashiers, baggers and customer service employees.

Between sending emails and making lists, I walk around and yell at my employees for what they are doing wrong. At the same time, I get yelled at all the time for stupid shit my employees do. So it's a toss up on this job, but it has paid the best so I'll deal with it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment