1/9/12

Refunds

When I started working for Jewel-Osco I had little knowledge of what happened behind the customer service desk. Whenever a customer demanded a refund I could just apologize and point them to my supervisor behind the desk.

Then came the day when I was that supervisor behind the desk. I quickly learned how insane people are.

First off, I didn’t think people were actually allowed to return food. This is still a concept I can’t quite get over, but whatever. Tip: You can return ANYTHING at a grocery store as long as you have the product in some form or another and have a receipt. I’ve compiled some of my favorite refund stories for you:

Ice Cream Lady

I once had an older woman, typical grandma-looking white lady. Cute as a button. She came to the desk with a receipt and a gallon of ice cream.

Grandma: Oh I would like a refund on this ice cream.

Me: Oh certainly, was there anything wrong with it?

Grandma: No, I just didn’t like the taste.

Confused, I then opened the gallon to discover that roughly 2/3 of the gallon was missing.

Me: It took you 2/3 of gallon to realize you didn’t like the flavor?

Grandma: (evil glare and a frown)

Vitamin Lady

Now this woman was a regular of mine, always trying to get a refund on something or bitching about prices, so it was nothing out of the ordinary. But one day she approached me with a plastic baggy with about 5 pills in it.

Refund Lady: I demand a refund! These vitamins made me sick!

Me: Okay…..do you have a receipt? And the bottle?

Refund Lady: Well I threw both of those out.

Me: Well firstly I need a receipt to refund your money and I need to product to scan.

Refund Lady: I have the product right here!

After some more arguing I got my manager. We discovered that the pills she had were Vitamin C tablets and she had bought the 100-count bottle. Meaning she had taken roughly 95 pills and then decided to return the last 5 for a full refund. After some more arguing she decided she would come back tomorrow to see the “real manager.” She never did get that refund.

Dominicks Dude

One night this man came up to my desk with 3 items he wanted to return. I scanned his receipt only to find none of the items were on the receipt. We agreed upon giving him store credit for the items since he had other things to purchase while he was there.

I scanned the first item, some type of BBQ sauce, and the item came up ‘not found.’ This means that no Jewel-Osco carriers this particular type of BBQ sauce. He insisted that he had purchased the item at this exact store. I called my manager who confirmed we did not carry the item.

He was still convinced we carried it. So I decided to walk him to the aisle myself where, shocker, the BBQ was nowhere to be found. He admitted he might have picked it up some place else, but wanted to return the other items.

I scanned both other items and the exact same thing happened, we did not sell those items.

Dominicks Dude: This is absolutely ridiculous I know I bought these items here why are you people making this so difficult for me to return?

Me: (blank stare)

Dominicks Dude: Whatever, you just lost out on $200 worth of my money, I’m going to Dominicks.

Sassy Coworker: Fine, Dominicks can take care of your crazy ass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment