1/13/12

Grocery Gossip

In the retail grocery world, we’re like a family. Everyone knows each others business. Not a day goes by that there’s some new gossip about someone. The funny thing about gossip is that the original story will constantly change from each person its passed down to and most likely, whoever the story is about, they will likely be the last to hear it…it's like a huge game of telephone.


I remember one day I arrived to work a little early. I walked in, like normal, and everyone kind of gave me weird looks. I walked to the break room and everyone just kind of stared at me. Some of my coworkers asked if I was okay.

Then I went to start for the day, clocked in and began doing my everyday responsibilities. I went straight to the computer room and began filing papers I should have done the night before. One of my coworkers Ashely came in and looked like she had seen a ghost.

Ashley: Oh....you're working today?

Me: Yeah. Why wouldn't I be? 

Ashley: Oh... I don't know 

I had the same conversation with about 5 other people in the next hour. I decided something was up and I went to my manager. She had no idea what was going on either. So I took it to the source and asked one of my cashiers Cameron what was going on.

Me: Cameron, please explain to me why everyone is so surprised to see me today. And be honest please.

Cameron: Um....well....we heard you got fired. 

After some eye rolling I realized everyone thought I was fired because we had just fired a different employee with my same name earlier that day. It just makes me think how a bunch of professional workers can be more gossipy then high school students.

No comments:

Post a Comment